CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Turkey and rice


Lunch today was turkey and rice. It is super easy to make and uses the leftover turkey bone. It's a great use for that turkey carcass after Thanksgiving. If I can't make it immediately then I throw the carcass in the freezer for later. You can use the carcass to make stock too but that is another post.

Turkey and Rice

1 turkey carcass
1 onion
3-4 cloves of garlic
salt
rice ( enough to use up the water)

First, place the carcass in a stock pot. Cover with water and add the onion cut into pieces and the peeled garlic. Simmer overnight or until the meat falls off the bone. Strain out all the pieces of bone, turkey meat,onions and garlic leaving only the broth in the pan. Cut the meat into pieces and all back to the pot. Slowly add rice letting it cook and adding more as needed. Salt to taste. Keep going until there is only a little liquid left with the rice. Salt to tast. Serve immediately.

Hints:
1. Save the liquid from canned or jarred veggies to add to this or when you make broth. It adds flavor.
2. You can add any veggies to this that you would like.
3. You can substitute chicken for the turkey.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

This looks fantastic Penny! Thanks so much!! I love your new blog!! Great job! Thanks for participating in the Go Ahead Honey Event!! I'll definitely add your post!

Becky @ Boys Rule My Life said...

I've added you to my Dairy Free Blogroll. Thanks for letting me know about you! :)

Also, I'm hunting for some advice today. I'm not really sure if you are GFCF due to allergies or not, but maybe you can help me out anyway?

http://boysrulemylife.blogspot.com/2008/06/dairy-free-quandries.html

Thanks for stopping by!